Because of all the lies and propaganda thrust upon us by the biotech industry and their “hookers” on an almost daily basis it seems apparent that we examine the Earth Open Source findings once again.
- *They are a part of the natural breeding process and are no different than naturally bred crops.
- *They are not only safe to eat but more nutritious than naturally bred crops.
- *They are regulated for safety (by the Obama appointed former biotech employees and lobbyists to key government positions).
- *Crop yields are increased. *They reduce the use of pesticides (and they say that with a straight face).
- *That farmers are benefitted and their lives are made easier (yeah, I guess when a farmer commits suicide because he/she cannot afford to buy seeds every year they have nothing more to worry about).
- *They bring economic benefits (by inflating the biotech bank accounts).
- *They benefit the environment (by polluting the land and creating super weeds and bugs that thrive on glyphosate and 2-4-D (Agent Orange) ).
- *They can help solve problems caused by climate change.
- *Reduce energy use.
- *Will help feed the world, (make the people sicker and increase the profits of Big pHarma).
I’m sure that just about every one of us has heard these deceptions. Fortunately, Earth Open Source presented scientifically documented information to the contrary. I might add that 800 independent scientists worldwide, not connected to the biotech industry, concur strongly.
Okay, let’s take a look at the researched evidence to the contrary regarding GMOs:
- *GMO crops are laboratory-made and the technology used resembles nothing used in natural breeding methods and poses severe health ramifications not associated with non-GMO crops.
- *GMOs can be more toxic, allergenic, and less nutritious than natural foods.
- *GMO safety is not adequately regulated.
- *Yield potential is not increased.
- *Farmers can look forward to herbicide-tolerant “superweeds”, compromised soil quality, and increased disease susceptibility in crops.
- *Have mixed economic effects.
- *GMOs harm soil quality, disrupt ecosystems, and reduce bio-diversity.
- *GMOs do not offer effective solutions to climate change.
- *GMOs are as energy-hungry as any other chemically-farmed crops.
- *GMOs not only cannot solve world hunger problems but can distract from its real causes of poverty, lack of access to food, and lack of access to land to grow it on.
“Based on the evidence presented in this report – “GMO Myths and Truths: An evidence-based examination of the claims made for the safety and efficacy of genetically modified crops’ -, there is no need to take risks with GM crops when effective, readily available, and sustainable solutions to the problems that GM technology is claimed to address already exist. Conventional plant-breeding, in some cases helped by safe modern technologies like gene mapping and marker assisted selection, continues to out-perform GM in producing high-yield, drought tolerant, and pest and disease-resistant crops that can meet our present and future food needs”.
Michael Antoniou, PhD is a reader in molecular genetics and head, Gene Expression and Therapy Group, King’s College London School of Medicine, London, UK. He has 28 years’ experience in the use of genetic engineering technology investigating gene organization and control, with over 40 peer reviewed publications of original work, and holds inventor status on a number of gene expression biotechnology patents. Dr Antoniou has a large network of collaborators in industry and academia who are making use of his discoveries in gene control mechanisms for the production of research, diagnostic and therapeutic products and safe and efficacious human somatic gene therapy for inherited and acquired genetic disorders.
Claire Robinson, MPhil, is research director at Earth Open Source. She has a background in investigative reporting and the communication of topics relating to public health, science and policy, and the environment. She is an editor at GMWatch (www.gmwatch.org), a public information service on issues relating to genetic modification, and was formerly managing editor at SpinProfiles (now Powerbase.org).
John Fagan, PhD is a leading authority on sustainability in the food system, bio-safety, and GMO testing. He is founder and chief scientific officer of one of the world’s first GMO testing and certification companies, through which he has pioneered the development of innovative tools to verify and advance food purity, safety and sustainability. He co-founded Earth Open Source, which uses open source collaboration to advance sustainable food production. Earlier, he conducted cancer research at the US National Institutes of Health. He holds a PhD in biochemistry and molecular and cell biology from Cornell University.
Something to ponder: if GMOs are so safe, so nutritious, and pose no adverse risk to the environment, why does Monsanto and all the bio-tech hookers spend so much money to keep us from knowing we are eating GMOs? One would think they would all push for labeling because if it’s as good as they say it is, then there would be GMO shortages all over the place because people could not get enough.